Step 1: Requirements to Work at an MPC Refinery
Drug and Alcohol Testing Program
Contract Employees must be enrolled in an MPC approved Drug and Alcohol Test program.
- All Contract Employees must be enrolled in approved program
- Contract companies can establish an account by visiting www.tangandcompany.com or by calling (866) 699-2727 or
- (562) 624-2720. You can also request the Tang and Company Enrollment Package from your refinery point of contact.
- Contract Employees status must be tested in an the MPC approved program prior to coming onsite. Any Contract Employee not “green-lighted” will not be allowed onsite.
Background Check Requirements
Contract Employees must pass a background security check from one of the following background check providers: (These are the currently approved MPC background check providers)
- DISA Global Solutions,
- First Advantage,
- Guidepost Solutions LLC,
- S2 Verify
For the Bismarck/Mandan area, testing can be completed by the following TPA's
- Preble Medical Services
- 107 Collins Avenue
- Mandan, ND 58554
- Sanford Health Occupational
- 2603 E. Broadway Street
- Bismarck, ND 58501
- Mid-Dakota Worklife
- 401 N. 9th Street
- Bismarck, ND 58501
Contractor Orientation Requirements
All contract workers must take and successfully complete the Refinery approved site-specific training prior to obtaining a Contractor Badge.
Site Specific Orientation:
- Site Orientation: North Dakota Safety Council
- Dates and Times: Call to Schedule
- Location: 1710 Canary Ave.
- Ste. A Bismarck
- (701)223-6372 - Sara Mckenna
Refinery Specific ID Badge
Contract workers will obtain their refinery access ID card at the Refinery Security & Badging office at the following address:
- Street Address: 500 Old Red trail NE gate 2, Mandan, ND 58554
The following is required and will be verified by Refinery Security prior to issuing the Refinery
- Drug & Alcohol testing compliance,
- Background Check, and
- Successful completion of the site-specific training
NOTE: Individuals must present a valid picture ID to receive their Refinery access ID card.
Contractor employees must always keep the Refinery Access ID Card in their possession while on Refinery Property.
Step 2: What to Know Before Coming On-Site
Illegal drugs and unauthorized alcohol, weapons and unauthorized firearms are prohibited on refinery property. All individuals are subject to search while on company property.
Facial Hair Policy
Beards are prohibited within the refinery. Mustaches and short sideburns are permitted if they do not interfere with the facial seal of protective breathing devices.
Electronic Devices and Cell Phone Requirements
The following PPE is required for entry into a process unity and/or tank farm area(s):
- Hard Hat
- Chemical Goggles - Available on Person
- Safety Glasses
- Hearing Protection
- NFPA 2112 FR Clothing
- Gloves - Min - Cut Level 3 Glove for General Duty Use
- Personal H2S Monitor
- Safety Toed Shoe with a defined heel
Certain areas/jobs may require additional PPE which shall be worn in accordance with posted signs or as stated on the Safe Work Permit.
NOTE: Contractor PPE is not supplied by Marathon Petroleum Company LP.
Please view this video that best describes the fundamental pillars of MPC’s safety culture. If you have any questions or want more information please contact the Site Safety Supervisor for information.