Step 1: Requirements for Working at the Refinery
Drug and Alcohol Testing Program
Contract Employees must be enrolled in an MPC approved Drug and Alcohol Test program.
All Contract Employees must be enrolled in approved program
To obtain an account, please contact DISA's Sales Department at 281-673-2530 or [email protected]. (This would only apply once your site is on DISA)
Contract Employees status must be tested in an MPC approved program prior to coming onsite. Any Contract Employee not "green-lighted" will not be allowed onsite.
Background Check Requirements
Contract Employees must pass a background safety check from one of the following background check providers: (These are the currently approved MPC background check providers)
- DISA Global Solutions
- First Advantage
- Guidepost Solutions LLC
- S2 Verify
Contractor Orientation Requirements
All contract workers must take and successfully complete an ARSC Reciprocal training and the MPC approved site-specific training prior to obtaining a Contractor Badge.
The Gulf Coast Safety Orientation, if taken prior to January 1st, 2023 will be good until the contract employees annual orientation is due for renewal. Below are the requirements for a contract employee to gain access to the LRD on January 1st, 2023:
Health and Safety Council or Reciprocal Council
Basic Orientation Plus 08BOP or Safety Essentials Orientation (SE-SAFE)
Marathon Essentials, 19MPCESN
Garyville Site Specific Orientation, 19MPCGVR
ALKY Orientation (if needed), 19MPCHFA
If you have any questions regarding the upcoming changes, please contact Travis Gregory via email at [email protected].
Refinery Specific Access/ID Badge Requirements
Contract workers will obtain their refinery access ID card at the Refinery Security & Badging office at the following address:
Please use this link to schedule your badging appointment: www.rssbadging.com
- Street Address: 4663 W. Airline Hwy. Garyville, LA 70063
- Phone: 985-535-7676
The following is required and will be verified by Refinery Security prior to issuing the Refinery access ID card:
- Drug & Alcohol testing compliance
- Background Check
- Successful completion of the site-specific training
The Louisiana Refining Division for Marathon Petroleum Company LP requires contract workers possess a valid a TWIC card. TWIC offices can be found nationwide - a location finder is within their website.
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic
Do I need to bring anything with me?
- You will be required to show two forms of identification. One must be a government issued photo id (such as a driver's license or passport). The second form can be a birth certificate, marriage certificate, or a DOT physical card.
- There is typically a three to four week turnaround from enrollment until card activation. Eligibility issues or insufficient information may increase the turnaround time.
- Contract Employees are required to know their TWIC Password for the Identification Card prior to obtaining a Marathon Contractor Badge
For more information please visit the Transportation Work Identification Credential Web site
NOTE: Individuals must present a valid picture ID to receive their Refinery access ID card.
Contractor employees must always keep the Refinery Access ID Card in their possession while on Refinery Property.
Step 2: What to Know before Coming Onsite
Illegal drugs and unauthorized alcohol, weapons and unauthorized firearms are prohibited on refinery property. All individuals are subject to search while on company property.
Weapons Policy Addendum For Louisiana
Facial Hair Policy
Beards are prohibited within the refinery. Mustaches and short sideburns are permitted if they do not interfere with the facial seal of protective breathing devices.
Cell Phones/Electronic Device Policy
The following PPE is required for entry into a process unit and/or tank farm area(s):
- Hard Hat
- Chemical Goggles - Available on Person
- Safety Glasses
- Hearing Protection
- NFPA 2112 FR Clothing
- Gloves - Min - Cut Level 3 Glove for General Duty Use
- Personal H2S Monitor
- Safety Toed Shoe with a defined heel.
- Certain areas/jobs may require additional PPE which shall be worn in accordance with posted signs or as stated on the Safe Work Permit.
NOTE: Contractor PPE is not supplied by Marathon Petroleum Company LP.
Please view this video that best describes the fundamental pillars of MPC’s safety culture. If you have any questions or want more information please contact the Site Safety Supervisor for information.