Step 1: Requirements for Working at the Refinery
Drug and Alcohol Testing Program
Contract Employees must be enrolled in an MPC approved Drug and Alcohol Test program.
All Contract Employees must be enrolled in approved program
Contract Employees status must be tested in an MPC approved program prior to coming onsite. Any Contract Employee not "green-lighted" will not be allowed onsite.
Background Check Requirements
Contract Employees must pass a background safety check from one of the following background check providers: (These are the currently approved MPC background check providers)
- DISA Global Solutions
- First Advantage
- Guidepost Solutions LLC
- S2 Verify
Contractor Orientation Requirements
All contract workers must take and successfully complete the Refinery approved site-specific training prior to obtaining a Contractor Badge.
Site Specific Orientation:
Gulf Coast Safety Council (http://www.gulfcoastsafetycouncil.com/)
- 170 James Drive E, St. Rose, LA
Alliance Safety Council (https://www.alliancesafetycouncil.org/)
- 10099 N. Reiger Rd, Baton Rouge, LA 70809
- 1205 W. Edenborne Pkwy., Gonzales, LA 70737
- 29756 Walker South Road, Walker, LA 70785
Refinery Specific Access/ID Badge Requirements
Contract workers will obtain their refinery access ID card at the Refinery Security & Badging office at the following address:
- Street Address: 4663 W. Airline Hwy. Garyville, LA 70063
- Phone: 985-535-7676
The following is required and will be verified by Refinery Security prior to issuing the Refinery access ID card:
- Drug & Alcohol testing compliance
- Background Check
- Successful completion of the site-specific training
The Louisiana Refining Division for Marathon Petroleum Company LP requires contract workers possess a valid a TWIC card. TWIC offices can be found nationwide - a location finder is within their website.
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic
Do I need to bring anything with me?
- You will be required to show two forms of identification. One must be a government issued photo id (such as a driver's license or passport). The second form can be a social security card, birth certificate, marriage certificate, or a DOT physical card.
- There is typically a three to four week turnaround from enrollment until card activation. Eligibility issues or insufficient information may increase the turnaround time.
- Contract Employees are required to know their TWIC Password for the Identification Card prior to obtaining a Marathon Contractor Badge
For more information please visit the Transportation Work Identification Credential Web site
NOTE: Individuals must present a valid picture ID to receive their Refinery access ID card.
Contractor employees must always keep the Refinery Access ID Card in their possession while on Refinery Property.
Step 2: What to Know before Coming Onsite
Facial Hair Policy
Beards are prohibited within the refinery. Mustaches and short sideburns are permitted if they do not interfere with the facial seal of protective breathing devices.
Cell Phones/Electronic Device Policy
The following PPE is required for entry into a process unit and/or tank farm area(s):
- Hard Hat
- Chemical Goggles - Available on Person
- Safety Glasses
- Hearing Protection
- NFPA 2112 FR Clothing
- Gloves - Min - Cut Level 3 Glove for General Duty Use
- Personal H2S Monitor
- Safety Toed Shoe with a defined heel.
- Certain areas/jobs may require additional PPE which shall be worn in accordance with posted signs or as stated on the Safe Work Permit.
NOTE: Contractor PPE is not supplied by Marathon Petroleum Company LP.
Please view this video that best describes the fundamental pillars of MPC’s safety culture. If you have any questions or want more information please contact the Site Safety Supervisor for information.