Step 1: Requirements for Working at the Refinery
Drug and Alcohol Testing Program
Contract Employees must be enrolled in an MPC approved Drug and Alochol Test program
- All Contract Employees must be enrolled in an approved program
- To obtain an account, please contact DISA's Sales Department at 281-673-2530 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contract Employees status must be tested in an MPC approved program prior to coming onsite. Any Contract Employee not "green-lighted" will not be allowed onsite.
Background Check Requirements
Contract Employees must pass a background security check from one of the following background check providers: (These are the currently approved MPC background check providers)
- DISA Global Solutions
- First Advantage
- Guidepost Solutions LLC
- S2 Verify
Contractor Orientation Requirements
All contract workers must take and successfully complete the Refinery approved site-specific training prior to obtaining a Constructor Badge.
Site Specific Orientation:
- Dates and Times Offered: Monday through Friday 7am-4pm. Three levels of classes are offered and the work being performed determines the level of class required. For example:
- Level 1 class is for those that will be in the refinery but not in the process units such as office personnel.
- Level 2 class is more in depth and includes those who will be in the process units but not working on the process such as truck drivers.
- Level 3 class is for those who will be working on the process equipment. In preparation for the increase in manpower for turnaround activities, the hours the classes will be offered are extended to 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.
- Location: Regulatory Training Center (RTC) trailer at England Hill in Catlettsburg, KY. The main RTC office is located in South Charleston, WV
- How to Register for Site Orientation: Employees can register online through www.rtc4safety.com. Or call directly to 606-921-2992.
Refinery Specific Access/ID Badge Requirements
Contract workers will obtain their refinery access ID card at the Refinery Security & Badging office at the following address:
- Street Address: England Hill Training Center 7716 McCornis Dr Catlettsburg, KY 41129
The following is required and will be verified by Refinery Security prior to issuing the Refinery access ID card:
- Drug & Alcohol testing compliance
- Background Check
- Successful completion of the site-specific training
NOTE: Individuals must present a valid picture ID to receive their Refinery access ID card.
Contractor employees must always keep the Refinery Access ID Card in their possession while on Refinery Property.
Step 2: What to Know before Coming Onsite
Illegal drugs and unauthorized alcohol, weapons and unauthorized firearms are prohibited on refinery property. All individuals are subject to search while on company property.
Facial Hair Policy
Beards are prohibited within the refinery. Mustaches and short sideburns are permitted if they do not interfere with the facial seal of protective breathing devices.
The following PPE is required for entry into a process unit and/or tank farm area(s):
- Hard Hat
- Chemical Goggles - Available on Person
- Safety Glasses
- Hearing Protection
- NFPA 2112 FR Clothing
- Gloves - Min - Cut Level 3 Glove for General Duty Use
- Personal H2S Monitor
- Safety Toed Shoe with a defined heel.
Certain areas/jobs may require additional PPE which shall be worn in accordance with posted signs or as stated on the Safe Work Permit.
NOTE: Contractor PPE is not supplied by Marathon Petroleum Company LP.
Please view this video that best describes the fundamental pillars of MPC’s safety culture. If you have any questions or want more information please contact the Site Safety Supervisor for information.