Step 1: Requirements for Working at the Refinery
Drug and Alcohol Testing Program
Contract Employees must be enrolled in an MPC approved Drug and Alcohol Test program.
- All Contract Employees must be enrolled in an approved program
- To obtain an account, please contact DISA's Sales Department at 281-673-2530 or email@example.com.
- Contract Employees status must be tested in an MPC approved program prior to coming onsite. Any Contract Employees not "green-lighted" will not be allowed onsite.
Background Check Requirements
Contract Employees must pass a background security check from one of the following background check providers: (These are the currently approrved MPC background check providers)
- DISA Global Solutions
- First Advantage
- Guidepost Solutions LLC
- S2 Verify
Contractor Orientation Requirements
All contract workers must take and successfully complete the Refinery approved site-specific training prior to obtaining a Contractor Badge.
Site Specific Orientation:
- Dates and Times Offered: Monday & Wednesday at 7am, also offered through any Association of Reciprocal Safety Council Locations (ARSC)
- Location: Stark Building (2225 Gambrinus Ave. SW Canton, OH 44706) or any other ARSC locations
- How to Register for Site Orientation: Contractor Entry Form by Marathon Requestor for on-site or through any ARSC Location
- For entry into the refinery all employees they must complete the ORD Site Orientation (12MARCAN) and HF Alky Orientation (12MARHFA) prior to obtaining a badge
Refinery Specific Access/ID Badge Requirements
Contract workers will obtain their refinery access ID card at the Refinery Security & Badging office at the following address:
- Street Address: 2225 Gambrinus Ave. SW, Canton, OH 44706
The following is required and will be verified by Refinery Security prior to issuing the Refinery access ID card:
- Drug & Alcohol testing compliance
- Background Check
- Successful completion of the site-specific training
- A valid picture ID
NOTE: Individuals must present a valid picture ID to receive their Refinery access ID card.
Contractor employees must always keep the Refinery Access ID card in their possession while on Refinery Property.
Step 2: What to Know before Coming Onsite
Facial Hair Policy
Beards are prohibited within the refinery. Mustaches and short sideburns are permitted if they do not interfere with the facial seal of protective breathing devices.
Cell Phones/Electronic Device Policy
The following PPE is required for entry into a process unit and/or tank farm area(s):
- Hard Hat
- Chemical Goggles - Available on Person
- Safety Glasses
- Hearing Protection
- NFPA 2112 FR Clothing
- Gloves - Minimum Cut Level 3 Glove for General Duty Use
- Personal H2S Monitor
- Safety Toed Shoe with a defined heel
Certain areas/jobs may require additional PPE which shall be worn in accordance with posted signs or as stated on the Safe Work Permit.
NOTE: Contractor PPE is not supplied by Marathon Petroleum Company LP.
Please view this video that best describes the fundamental pillars of MPC’s safety culture. If you have any questions or want more information please contact the Site Safety Supervisor for information.