Step 1: Requirements to Work at an MPC Refinery
Drug and Alcohol Testing Program
Contract Employees must be enrolled in an MPC approved Drug and Alcohol Test program.
All Contract Employees must be enrolled in an approved program
To obtain an account, please contact DISA's Sales Department at 281-673-2530 or [email protected].
Please contact OSCA / ASAP Drug Solutions
- Angelica Subia, [email protected]
- Corina Armstrong, [email protected], 562-624-2720 ext:1226
Contract Employees status must be tested in an MPC approved program prior to
coming onsite. Any Contract Employee not “green-lighted” will not be allowed onsite.
Background Check Requirements
Contract Employees must pass a background security check from one of the following background check providers: (These are the currently approved MPC background check providers)
Please contact DISA or OSCA
DISA - Sales Department at 281-673-2530 or [email protected].
OSCA - Angelica Subia, [email protected]
OSCA - Corina Armstrong, [email protected], 562-624-2720 ext:1226
Contractor Orientation Requirements
All contract workers must take and successfully complete the Refinery approved site-specific training prior to obtaining a Contractor Badge.
Federal/State Required Orientation:
- Basic Plus
- Refinery Pass Basic Refinery Orientation
Site Orientation locations:
- North Dakota Safety Council (Proctored)
- Refinery Pass (Non-Proctored)
- OSCA (Non-Proctored)
Confined Space/Firewatch/Safety Attendant Training:
- If the contract employee will be doing hole wate, fire watch, and/or safety attendant duties, additional training is required.
- Additional training can be found through Refinery Pass online
- Course Marathon, Dickinson & Mandan, ND - CSE/Firewatch ID: E-XVDGPV
Refinery Specific ID Badge
Contract workers will obtain their refinery access badge card at the Refinery Security & Badging office at the following address:
- Street Address 3815 116th Ave SW, Dickinson, ND 58601 Admin building, east facing door
The following is required and will be verified by Refinery Security prior to issuing the Refinery access badge:
- Drug & Alcohol testing compliance,
- Background Check,
- Successful completion of the site-specific training, and
- Successful completion of a required safety training
NOTE: Individuals must present a valid government issued picture ID to receive their Refinery badge.
Contractor employees must keep the Refinery Access badge in their possession while on Refinery Property.
Step 2: What to Know Before Coming On-Site
Illegal drugs and unauthorized alcohol, weapons and unauthorized firearms are prohibited on refinery property. All individuals are subject to search while on company property.
*Prohibited firearms as defined as including, but not limited to, hand guns, rifles, shot guns, assault weapons, stun guns and zip guns.
* Prohibited weapons defined as including, but not limited to, knives (4" blade or longer), martial arts equipment, bows and arrows, crossbows, air rifles, police clubs, sling shots, brass knuckles, explosives and any other devices manufactured or constructed for the purpose of causing injury. Mace or other similar defensive devices intended to temporarily disable a person would not normally be considered a weapon.
Facial Hair Policy
Beards are prohibited within the refinery. Mustaches and short sideburns are permitted if they do not interfere with the facial seal of protective breathing devices.
Electronic Devices and Cell Phone Requirements
The following PPE is required for entry into a process unit and/or tank farm area(s):
- Hard Hat
- Chemical Goggles - Available on Person
- Safety Glasses
- Hearing Protection
- NFPA 2112 FR Clothing
- Gloves - Min - Cut Level 3 Glove for General Duty Use
- Personal H2S Monitor
- Safety Toed Shoe with a defined heel
Certain areas/jobs may require additional PPE which shall be worn in accordance with posted signs or as stated on the Safe Work Permit.
NOTE: Contractor PPE is not supplied by Marathon Petroleum Company LP.
Please view this video that best describes the fundamental pillars of MPC’s safety culture. If you have any questions or want more information please contact the Site Safety Supervisor for information.