Step 1: Requirements for Working at the Refinery
Drug and Alcohol Testing Program
Contract Employees must be enrolled in an MPC approved Drug and Alcohol Test program.
All Contract Employees must be enrolled in approved program
Contract Employees status must be tested in an MPC approved program prior to coming onsite. Any Contract Employee not "green-lighted" will not be allowed onsite.
Background Check Requirements
Contract Employees must pass a background security check from one of the following background check providers: (These are the currently approved MPC background check providers)
- Contractor Safety Council of Texas City
- DISA Global Solutions
- First Advantage
- Guidepost Solutions LLC
- S2 Verify
*A valid Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC Card) is required in addition to the Background Check.
Contractor Orientation Requirements
All contract workers must take and successfully complete the Refinery approved site-specific training prior to obtaining a Contractor Badge.
All orientation/training courses should be completed prior to arrival at the Robinson Refinery Security Operations Center. Orientation/training courses can be completed two ways:
- Orientation Training may be completed at the Health and Safety Council (HASC) or any Association of Reciprocal Safety Councils facility (www.arsc.net/locations).
- There are 60 sites in the US and in some cases, this may be a more convenient alternative.
- If interested in obtaining your training at one of these sites, contact the ARSC site directly so they can download the Robinson Refinery training modules and schedule the training.
- Course Codes are listed below that are required for all contract employees.
- Orientation/training may be completed using HASC's Live Online Proctoring. This is an online proctoring alternative to taking training in person. All Live Online Proctored courses are actively monitored by HASC online proctors, preserving the integrity of the training while providing the convenience and cost-effectiveness of taking the training virtually anywhere.
- Training hours will be Monday through Friday, 6am to 6pm CST (Excluding holidays)
- Secure with ID Verification, Test-Taker Camera Viewing, Computer Screen Monitoring, and Continuous Image Capture
- Training conveniently available anywhere - home, hiring office, a remote training center located at your jobsite, or wherever proves most convenient
- Creates a flexible, cost-effective alternative to physically visiting a training center
- Please refer to the Live Online Proctoring User Guide to start enrolling today: Registering for Live Online Proctoring
- Course Codes are listed below for courses that are required for all contract employees
- Course Codes for required orientations/trainings: ROB Price Sheet
- Marathon Petroleum Essentials Orientation - 19MPCESN
- Marathon Petroleum Robinson Refinery Site Specific Orientation - 19MPCROB
- Marathon Petroleum Security - 19MPCSAO
- Marathon Petroleum HF Alky Training - 19MPCHFA (If performing work in the HF Alky)
- If you have any questions, please contact HASC's Customer Service team at [email protected] or 281-476-9900 Ext. 310
- For emergencies only, orientations/trainings may be obtained onsite in the Robinson Refinery Security Operations Center.
- Must be approved by IRD Safety Supervisor Nick Martin.
Refinery Specific Access/ID Badge Requirements
Contract workers will obtain their refinery access ID card at the Refinery Security & Badging office at the following address:
- Street Address: 400 S. Marathon Ave. Robinson, IL 62454
The following is required and will be verified by Refinery Security prior to issuing the Refinery access ID card:
- Drug & Alcohol testing compliance
- Background Check
- Successful completion of the site-specific training
NOTE: Individuals must present a valid picture ID to receive their Refinery access ID card.
Contractor employees must always keep the Refinery Access ID Card in their possession while on Refinery Property.
Step 2: What to Know before Coming Onsite
Facial Hair Policy
Beards are prohibited within the refinery. Mustaches and short sideburns are permitted if they do not interfere with the facial seal of protective breathing devices.
Cell Phones/Electronic Device Policy
The following PPE is required for entry into a process unit and/or tank farm area(s):
- Robinson PPE
- Hard Hat
- Chemical Goggles - Available on Person
- Safety Glasses
- Hearing Protection
- NFPA 2112 FR Clothing
- Gloves - Min - Cut Level 3 Glove for General Duty Use
- Personal H2S Monitor
- Safety Toed Shoe with a defined heel.
Certain areas/jobs may require additional PPE which shall be worn in accordance with posted signs or as stated on the Safe Work Permit.
NOTE: Contractor PPE is not supplied by Marathon Petroleum Company LP.
Please view this video that best describes the fundamental pillars of MPC’s safety culture. If you have any questions or want more information please contact the Site Safety Supervisor for information.