Step 1: Requirements for Working at the Refinery
Drug and Alcohol Testing Program
Contract Employees must be enrolled in an MPC approved Drug and Alcohol Test program.
All Contract Employees must be enrolled in approved program
Contract Employees status must be tested in an MPC approved program prior to coming onsite. Any Contract Employee not "green-lighted" will not be allowed onsite.
Background Check Requirements
Contract Employees must pass a background security check from one of the following background check providers: (These are the currently approved MPC background check providers)
- Contractor Safety Council of Texas City
- DISA Global Solutions
- First Advantage
- Guidepost Solutions LLC
- S2 Verify
*A valid Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC Card) is required in addition to the Background Check.
Contractor Orientation Requirements
All contract workers must take and successfully complete the Refinery approved site-specific training prior to obtaining a Contractor Badge.
Site Specific Orientation:
- Robinson Refinery training may be completed at any Association of Reciprocal Safety Councils facility (www.arsc.net/locations), or onsite in the Robinson Refinery Security Operations Center located directly east of the Refinery's Main Office Building. Please use the Route 33 Entrance at the Wal-Mart stop light to access the Security Operations Center.
- Site Orientation:
Refinery Specific Access/ID Badge Requirements
Contract workers will obtain their refinery access ID card at the Refinery Security & Badging office at the following address:
- Street Address: 400 S. Marathon Ave. Robinson, IL 62454
The following is required and will be verified by Refinery Security prior to issuing the Refinery access ID card:
- Drug & Alcohol testing compliance
- Background Check
- Successful completion of the site-specific training
NOTE: Individuals must present a valid picture ID to receive their Refinery access ID card.
Contractor employees must always keep the Refinery Access ID Card in their possession while on Refinery Property.
Step 2: What to Know before Coming Onsite
Facial Hair Policy
Beards are prohibited within the refinery. Mustaches and short sideburns are permitted if they do not interfere with the facial seal of protective breathing devices.
Cell Phones/Electronic Device Policy
The following PPE is required for entry into a process unit and/or tank farm area(s):
- Robinson PPE
- Hard Hat
- Chemical Goggles - Available on Person
- Safety Glasses
- Hearing Protection
- NFPA 2112 FR Clothing
- Gloves - Min - Cut Level 3 Glove for General Duty Use
- Personal H2S Monitor
- Safety Toed Shoe with a defined heel.
Certain areas/jobs may require additional PPE which shall be worn in accordance with posted signs or as stated on the Safe Work Permit.
NOTE: Contractor PPE is not supplied by Marathon Petroleum Company LP.
Please view this video that best describes the fundamental pillars of MPC’s safety culture. If you have any questions or want more information please contact the Site Safety Supervisor for information.